When it was revealed that Disney was making a movie called Beverly Hills Chihuahua from the director of Big Momma’s House and Scooby-Doo, the movie world took a collective stand of disgust, but Disney sure knows what the people wants, and what they want is apparently to see chihuahuas talk on the big screen, making that movie the most successful of the weekend by far. The only other new release to make the top five was Nick And Norah’s Infinite Playlist, at number three. The other five big new releases more or less flopped, but none less than the comedy How To Lose Friends And Alienate People, which came in nineteenth place. Last week’s winner Eagle Eye slipped into second, while the fourth and fifth spots were filled with the romance Nights In Rodanthe and the western Appaloosa respectively. Another big winner which deserves a mention is the Anne Hathaway starrer Rachel Getting Married, which averaged nearly 32600 dollars per screen while showing in only nine cinemas.
Full top 20 with earnings after the jump.
- Beverly Hills Chihuahua 29.3 million
- Eagle Eye 17.7 million
- Nick And Norah’s Infinite Playlist 11.3 million
- Nights In Rodanthe 7.4 million
- Appaloosa 5.1 million
- Lakeview Terrace 4.6 million
- Burn After Reading 4.1 million
- Fireproof 4 million
- An American Carol 3.7 million
- Religulous 3.4 million
- Flash Of Genius 2.3 million
- Blindness 2 million
- Igor 1.7 million
- Miracle At St. Anna 1.7 million
- Righteous Kill 1.6 million
- The Family That Preys 1.6 million
- My Best Friend’s Girl 1.6 million
- Ghost Town 1.5 million
- How To Lose Friends And Alienate People 1.4 million
- The Duchess 0.9 million
For more details and films under the top 20, go here.